program that calls your changed program, even if it has no relevence
to the change you are making.

Albert

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Morgan, Paul <Paul.Morgan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So you've never had to integrate two processes that define the LDA differently?  Get ready to write a utility to save the current state of the LDA, run the other process, then restore the LDA to the previous state.  What a nightmare.  All just because you won't pass parameters and the LDA is 'easy to use'.

In a similar vein I'm using the GDA to pass parameters between group jobs.  Wish I could avoid using the GDA but you can't pass parameters to a group job initial program.

Paul

Principal Programmer Analyst
IT Supply Chain/Replenishment

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Albert York
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:46 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Separate buisness and display logic question

I have never had a problem understanding data being passed in the LDA.
It's no different than global variables, except it spans across
programs.

Would it have been easier if you had to change 20-30 parms that were
being passed as parameters?

Instead of simply an /include you should have taken the opportunity to
externailize the layout of the LDA so it would be standard  and future
changes would be even easier.

Just because you are not comfortable with a technology doesn't mean it
isn't useful.

Albert