James

The reference manual says this about SETGT -

The SETGT operation positions a file at the next record with a key or relative
record number that is greater than the key or relative record number specified in
factor 1.

So I read that to mean, it'll be set after the last record that has the value or values you set in the key, or as if you did *HIVAL, I suppose, in the remaining key fields.

SETLL -

The SETLL operation positions a file at the next record that has a key or relative
record number that is greater than or equal to the search argument (key or relative
record number) operand specified (search-arg).

So yes, it will set on %equal, because it's based on the search argument, not the full key of the file.

I'm going through all this myself, again, since I need to fully understand the behavior for a project I'm working on. Things like what happens when you do a CHAIN with a set of key fields, then READE with a subset of those fields, etc.

HTH
Vern