Tom -

I certainly do NOT think that it makes life difficult for the programmer.
In fact, IMO, good programmers should prefer /free code over fixed.

I work in a shop that has over 50 instances of highly customized JDE World
RPG/400 code mixed with RPGIV code. We have as much or more code than you.
On a daily basis, I work with both fixed and free-form code.

I would prefer to not have fixed and free-form code in the same program, but
it is not against shop standards and done occasionally.

As for me, I prefer free-form, and all new development is done in /free.

- sjl

Tom wrote:
You don't think that multiple styles of coding mixed
together makes life difficult for the programmer ?
I do.

Michael Ryan wrote:
Why does that maintain the integrity? It maintains the sameness, and there
may be some value to that (though I don't believe so). But I believe that
writing code using the best tools available makes sense. Of course, you
also
have to think about the others that maintain it. If they cant'/don't
handle
free form, procedures, APIs, etc, then those techniques shouldn't be used.

Tom wrote:
So, If you have a program that has lots of subroutines already, and you
have to
modify this program, Do you use procedures or subroutines ? Keep in mind
the
base software package has about 20,000 programs with 2 million lines of
code
and all of them have subroutines and no procedures.
To keep the integrity of the system, I think you should use subroutines.