writing code using the best tools available makes sense. Of course, you also
have to think about the others that maintain it. If they cant'/don't handle
free form, procedures, APIs, etc, then those techniques shouldn't be used.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Tom Huff <tehuff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So,
If you have a program that has lots of subroutines already, and you have to
modify this program, Do you use procedures or subroutines ? Keep in mind
the
base software package has about 20,000 programs with 2 million lines of
code
and all of them have subroutines and no procedures.
To keep the integrity of the system, I think you should use subroutines.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of dieter.bender@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:19 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Convert from free to fixed

... interesting, you are a clairvoyant, seeing what other persons are
thinking...

IMHO RPG has sometimes diffrent features, doing similar things and good
style is not to use all, what's available, but the most powerful lfeature
of

each category. For instance error handling: you have:
- error indicators in fixed format
- e extenders in free format
- ile condition handlers
- *pssr
- monitor groups
-... maybe I'm overlooking something, I didn't see in > 20 years RPG
comparing this alternatives, monitor is the most powerfull of all and
contains all possibilities the other have and some valuable too (arbitrary
blocks, grouping of conditions), so I clearly recommend to use this and
only

this!!!

Another example:
in RPG you have Subroutines and Procedures a procedure could do all, a
subroutine does and has valuable additional features as local variables and
parameters and prototypes for the compiler to check if your call could have
a chance to succeed - so I clearly recommend to use procedures and forget
subroutines (for all your newly written stuff). BTW: Prototypes are another
example for doing things not consequently by the developers of RPG. There
are languages out there only needing PIs and no PRs.

D*B