Thanks Aaron, this might be useful for other things also

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Aaron Bartell
Sent: Wednesday, 22 September 2010 12:27 a.m.
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Convert HTML to plain text

I haven't done *exactly* what you are asking for, but my HTML2PDF4i free and open source tool might get you part of the way there. I wrote about it a few months ago in IBMSystemsMag.com. You can find that here:

http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/webexclusive/32493p1.aspx

HTH,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx>wrote:

Would anyone happen to have RPG code to take HTML and strip off all
the tags and just have plain text that would be printed using normal
print files? I have a form that needs to be displayed on a web page
and also printed from an RPG application. Part of the form is data
collected using a rich-text editor on a web page that is stored as
HTML in a variable length field. Works great when the form is on a
webpage as it is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get function. Any special
editing put in the rich-text editor shows on the web page exactly as
entered. Problem is taking that html code and printing it using a
normal print file to an outq then the printer. Stripping out the html
tags might not be too bad. Dealing with <br> tags and <p> tags and
<ul><li> can be a bit more challenging but I think word wrap is going
to be the hardest. The print file line is 80 characters and I need to
be sure to not break a word between lines. Some tricky code and I thought I would just see if anyone !
might have done this already and would share their code.

Thanks

Visit our website www.vedaadvantage.com. It has a new design with improved navigation and search capabilities; and customer friendly interface with more relevant insights and solutions to help you make informed decisions.

This correspondence is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information, or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this correspondence in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not the intended recipient.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of Veda Advantage.
If you need assistance, please contact Veda Advantage on either :- Australia 1300-921-621 or New Zealand +64 9 367 6200