Bryce,

I think that discussing business models is on topic because RPG or any other
language may be used for strategic advantage. And I agree that the model you
delineated has worked in the real world. My main concern with it is in step
four, when your applications need to scale. That's when you necessarily inject
a human element to manage your workloads, as opposed to using something like IBM
i to do it for you. IBM i has lower TCO in that case. That has been documented
over and over.

Right now we're using RPG to develop applications for school teachers, parents,
and students to interact with each other. Homework assignments, instructions,
learning media, tests, scores, grades, questions, messages, class schedules,
attendance calendars, absence, etc.

In the past, schools bought relatively beefy PC's for teachers to run Grade Book
and other applications locally. It's a lot less expensive and much more
efficient to swap out the PC's with iPads and a browser, and to migrate heavy
desktop workloads to servers, which is a growing trend. That's something where
RPG and IBM i makes a lot of sense.

We've posted a quick paced promotional video on our Web site. It might inspire
you or somebody who may not yet see the vision of using RPG and IBM i for
contemporary workloads.

http://www.relational-data.com/promo/promo.php

-Nathan