Your point of the infrastructure being there is the key I think. (i.e.
the web being more reliable). I think the older generation can play a
HUGE role in aiding IT shops not pursuing wrong parts of technology
because they have "been there, done that". The part the older
generation usually misses out on is knowing the new technology well
enough to be able to say "yes, we will adopt this new technology, but
only this portion of it and only in this fashion".

For example, if I were a .NET programmer that needed to do casual web
services then I would use the built in tooling within VisualStudio,
but if I was doing A LOT of web services that needed sub second
response time for thousands of transactions a minute, then I would
throw out Microsoft's default implementation and write a simple
communicator library that worked on much smaller sets of technology
(i.e. HTTP+non-verbose XML). By the way, I am picking on Microsoft
because I have never seen such over architected web service solutions
in my life. So over architected that in their latest versions of VS
2010, not even hugely popular tools like SOAPUI can communicate with
them (just had this happen two weeks ago).

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/