To: "RPG programming on the IBM i / System i" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:55 PM
Subject: RE: Parameter prototype question

Why wouldn't you want the compiler to catch as many things as possible?
Programming, computers, and languages are a professional evolution. I
thank the good Lord everyday that I didn't have to use punch cards and
dumb terminals. I'm am extremely grateful for all the brain breaking work
my predecessors have done to get us to this point. And while I do a fair
amount of desk checking, I don't do nearly as much as some of you because
I know the compiler will catch my spelling mistake. So that is one thing
I don't have to check for. Saves me tons of time because my compile only
take 3 seconds max usually.

To say that things shouldn't be improved because its "good enough" is to
become stagnant. The compiler and the language can ALWAYS be better. And
just because I use the compiler to do what it is designed to do to save me
work is not irresponsible and lazy. In fact I argue is more efficient.
Wasting time doing something you have a tool to do for you seems
irresponsible. We all produce good code, I'm sure of that because we care
enough to join a list like this and improve ourselves. But tossing
allegations of irresponsibility and laziness needs more support....

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

"Dennis Lovelady" <iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05/17/2010 07:13 PM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Parameter prototype question

But it surely *is* smart enough to recognize that

Pack5P = Pack10P;

could be problematic?

Just where should this stop, exactly? How much responsibility shall we
place on the compiler so that we can blame IBM while we point at the
listing
and say, "See? It didn't catch that! There's nothing wrong with it!"

And how much responsibility shall we place on our own shoulders?
<soapbox>The whole idea of throwing something at the compiler to see what
comes back, is irresponsible and lazy. Those who knew what it was like to
wait 24 hours (72 on weekends) for the result of one compile, will know
what
I'm talking about, and those people probably do a far better job of
desk-checking than the kiddies of today.</soapbox>

Dennis Lovelady
"Desert Storm was a stirring victory for the forces of agression and
lawlessness."
-- former US Vice President Dan Quayle

list