Pah! The compiler can't protect you from stupidity. The
problem was caused entirely by you trying to stuff 9 pounds
in a 7 pound bag and not expecting it to overflow i.e., not
paying attention to what you were doing. Sure, without CONST
or VALUE the compiler would have caught the mismatch but
consider the reverse situation where you might want to pass a
smaller value or a different data type or a literal;

I don't need to consider the reverse situation here. Its just a simple
case as with most of our procedure calls of wanting to pass a variable
from one procedure to another and wanting the compiler to check that
for me. If you're saying that I should have checke the attributs of
each of the 20 or so parameters myself then what's the point of having
a compiler that is capable of checking?

The point in having such a compiler has already been spelled out in pretty
good detail. You have chosen to not have the compiler do such checking by
specifying CONST. If you want such checking simply remove the attribute.
What's the problem here, David?

Dennis Lovelady
There are very few personal problems that can't be solved by a suitable
application of high explosives.