If you have other machines at your site such as Oracle or SQL Server I would
focus on those. You can learn ASP.net to deploy reports that source AS/400
data. ( I know many people on this list have an aversion to Microsoft but I
am not sure why. I myself lost my job in AS/400 shop and was unable to get
anything else but fortunately I had some skills on other areas and so can
work in the Microsoft Business Intelligence area. Since then, I was told to
deploy the reports I had written so I had to learn ASP.net C#. (Still I
would love and I pray in fact to come back to an AS/400 shop albeit I
wouldnt' want a plain RPG 3 type of situation)

Try to find a project that would be useful in your job but give you learning
capabilities, or if not useful, maybe for someday.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Tom Deskevich <