On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 08:21 -0500, Dennis Lovelady wrote:
The problem with just replacing all <'s is that the method
inserts not only CRLF between nodes but also IN textnodes
so you will have altered node content and not all parsers
likes that

CRLF<name>abcdefgCRLF</name>

Actually, the big problem with this carte blanch replacement is that it
doesn't recognize \<. Such as in

I'm not following you, the correct encoding of a < within a
xml textnode is either &lt; or &#60; and not \<

True. Sorry, I had my unix hat on because of another simultaneous challenge
I was facing. So for the stated problem (preventing CRLF insertion before
</...>
sed 's%[<]\([^/]\)\r\n<\1%g'

I am sorry to be picky, but did you perhaps intend ...

Cheers,
Terry.

Find any < followed by something other than / (This consumes two
characters)
Replace the < with CRLF< and replace the following character with itself.

Dennis Lovelady
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to
eat them."
-- Adlai Stevenson