HR,

In all respect for expertise and dedication, both Scott's and the
CGIDEV2 methods are potential faulty.

Correct. And I knew that when I wrote the message. But you seem to have missed the point of my message entirely.

My point was that asking IBM to write an RPG opcode that transforms data structures to XML is silly. Data structures don't carry enough information about an XML document for that to work nicely.

The work that a "XML-OUTOF" opcode would save you is minimal. You can easily replicate that work with simple RPG code. Escaping special characters isn't terribly difficult, there are only 5 characters that need to be escaped in XML... " ' < > and & It'd take me 20 minutes to write a routine that does that. CGIDEV2 already has such a routine.

There are certainly situations where it makes sense to use full-blown XML software with full schema validation, et al.

But that's not the point. The point is, I'd rather see IBM working on something more useful than an XML-OUTOF opcode that transforms a DS to XML.