Hi Larry,

powerEXT Core API uses CGIDEV2 routines, but you don't need a
apache server if you want to use it with HTTPAPI or if you
what to use it to generate XML/JSON files in the IFS or
anything else.

It builds up responses in storage by using CGIDEV2 ILOB facilities,
and can return both the storage address and the response/buffer size,
so you can do whatever you want to do with the generated responce.

I'm not a java expert, but if you can call and RPGLE based service-
programs from java on the iSeries, you can use powerEXT within JSP.

powerEXT AF runs on an apache server running on the iSeries and
therefor you can integrate other servers into the apache servers
directives by specifying them in QNTC and make the appropriate
directives in the .conf file. If this can be done the other way
around I don't know, I will think it depends on the OS.

Because it runs on an apache server anything can be served.

powerEXT AF UI is build on Ext JS RIA but that is only "the top of
the iceberg". In fact powerEXT can run any client centric RIA's
concurrently just by extending the templates it runs upon.

Ext JS can work on XML based server communication even though JSON
is preffered. Ext JS is not a GWT, there is no server side in Ext JS
but they (Ext) have a GWT as well. http://extjs.com

Regards
Henrik

Larry Ducie <larry_ducie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05-02-2010 13:48
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

RPG400 <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: RPG and xml

Hi Henrik,

I look forward to having a look at your offering next week. We have been
actively looking at possible contenders for an opensource RIA that we
could use. We had looked at SmartGWT and Vaadin as a GWT-based RIA
framework. We have SmartGWT examples working using a dynamic XML
datasource (the XML being retrieved via AJAX calls). This would be the
easiest way for us to integrate into our existing codebase as all of our
JSP pages use dynamically built XML retrieved from the IBM ivia a custom
tomcat-IBM i bridge. The XML is stored within a bean for the JSPs to use.
As our tomcat-IBM i bridge talks pure XML we can discard tomcat and
connect anything that builds from XML to the client side of the bridge -
hence the search for a RIA that takes XML as a datasource.

This powerEXT Application Framework is certainly worth investing some time
looking into. I do wonder if the dependence on CGIDEV2 means it works only
with a HTTP server running on the IBM i. Would this be the case? Can this
framework only run as CGI programs called within the IBM i HTTP server? Or
is it possible to use this codebase to generate XML within a RPG program
running independently of the HTTP server? Also, do you envisage this
framework to only serve dynamic content or would it serve static content
(HTML pages / images / icons stored in the IFS) too? Or would you imagine
that kind of content being served from, say, an Apache HTTP server
instance running on another (unix/Windows/Linux) machine and having the
two work together?

Very interesting...

Cheers

Larry Ducie

Time for a new car? Sell your old one fast!
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157637060/direct/01/