Personally I like the "structured" H, D, and P specs. I have had no need for I or E specs in years, and rarely use O specs. F specs could be easier to understand at a glance, but going to the other extreme would be just as bad, IMO.

If Bob's speculation is anywhere near correct in syntax I will avoid using free form H, D, and P specs. To me it is very easy to see:

D elementTemplate...
D DS Qualified
D Template
D name 30A Varying
D value 200A Varying
D attributes 10I 0
D attribute LikeDs(attributeTemplate)
D Dim(100)

D attributeTemplate...
D DS Qualified
D Template
D name 20A Varying
D value 200A Varying

Or

D parseRevChainBridgeJalResponse...
D PR
D 20I 0 Const Message Id
D * Const XML
D 10I 0 Const XML Length
D * Const Error Structure

Or

D driver S 100A Varying
D resource S 150A Varying

Or

D RevChainOrderSend...
D C Const('JAL_SEND')

And understand at a glance exactly what is being defined and how it is defined. The speculated syntax that Bob put forward requires you to read the definition.

If IBM were to adopt a free form D spec the syntax should be more Java or C like, not CL like. Structured D specs have a few minor limitations, name length being the most prominent, but there are simple work arounds built in so I have no problems with them

To me the easiest feature to implement that I would love to see is the compiler being able to compile free form C specs for the full length of the source DB record instead of starting at position 8 and ending at 80.

Duane Christen

--

Duane Christen
Senior Software Engineer