On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 17:23 -0800, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
Terrence Enger wrote:
Tee hee. A tale of failed communication in
XML: ï<http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Special-Delivery.aspx>. It could
be sad, but we worker bees can't help smiling.

I suppose the trade confirmation was in a literal sense "narrow".

And would you care to explain how having a fully-functional XML parser
reading back the response from the web service would have been any
better than a specialized parser that was smart enough to recognize that
it had an unexpected response, and forward that unexpected response to a
real person?

It would not be "better than", but it could well be a robust "part of".

My "tee hee" was a hint not to take this too seriously. Maybe I should
have put "[whimsy]" in the subject. Then again ...

Besides, it was a case of a malformed outbound data stream.

Which was the seller's malformed (but accepted) inbound data stream.

Cheers,
Terry.

--
JHHL