If you have a way of identifying which records you need to merge, then this
should be easy to do with embedded SQL.

Gene

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Alan Shore <AlanShore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for your reply Booth
Maybe the choice of the word key was the wrong choice
Here is my example
the key to the customer file is by customer number
2 records exist the customer file
customer number 1
customer number 5,400,247
They are in fact the same person, so we need to "merge" the data from
customer number 5,400,247 into customer number 1
Update customer number 1
delete customer number 5,400,247

I think it would be easier (maintenance wise) to have 2 separate files,
both keyed by customer number. One file is to update. The other file is to
delete
Is this fool proof - no, but in the long run, it will be simpler (my
opinion for what its worth)

Alan Shore
Programmer/Analyst, Distribution
E:AShore@xxxxxxxxxxx <E%3AAShore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
P:(631) 200-5019
C:(631) 880-8640
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

Booth Martin
<booth@xxxxxxxxxx
om> To
Sent by: RPG programming on the IBM i /
rpg400-l-bounces@ System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
midrange.com cc

Subject
11/17/2009 03:44 Re: D-spec using the same file name
PM twice

Please respond to
RPG programming
on the IBM i /
System i
<rpg400-l@midrang
e.com>

Curiosity has the best of me. You are saying "the same key" which says
to me that the file is not keyed uniquely, and that there could well be
more than two records with the same key. Hence my curiosity:

How do you get the particular & specific record(s) that you want to get?

Alan Shore wrote:
Afternoon all

I know at one point, what I am about to ask is not feasible in RPG (COBOL
is another matter), but the last time I asked this was when I had first
moved over from mainframe COBOL to AS/400 RPG. (TOO many moons ago)

Can you specify the same file name (physical or logical) more than once
in
a program?

I want to process 2 separate records by using the same key, or do I have
create a new logical with the same key as the file that already exists?

I almost forgot - we are on V5r4

As always - many thanks in anticipation