I was thinking again about a beginner - IBM, of course, are happy to take your money for courses. As is Manta and others listed on that Search400 site.

I don't even see this manual in the Online Libraries or Infocenters I have back to V3R2 - yep - they are still there!! Nor in the IBM Library Server Library, where all kinds of interesting things still reside.

It'd be great, IMO, for IBM to make a manual like this available again. Or at least give us a roadmap to free or nearly free resources.

Now there are those who learned RPG by reading the manuals (reference and programmer's guide) and figured it out. A good time? Not necessarily. But doable.

But there ARE tutorials out there that I found, using Google. The newbie asking about getting started - he really should look at those and start there. IMO again.

Vern

Mark S. Waterbury wrote:
Hi, Joep:

Yes, this is a very different book from "Application Display Programming" but it could still be a good one for "beginners" ...

Mark

> J.Beckeringh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Just googled for 'application development by example' and found <
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/books/sc415602.pdf
. The title page mentions 'AS/400' and on page 4 it says 'First Edition
(August 1997)'. Quite a different book from Application Display Programming, if you ask me.

Joep Beckeringh

Vern Hamberg
Joep

I think you are right - is that what Rob meant, or was there another book? This one is still available at IBM's InfoCenter, I believe.

Vern