Has anyone brought up the DO loop with start value and limit value? Seems the issue of too small an index variable has been with us for some time.

Try this code in ILE RPG -

*C *1 DO 9 X 1 0
*C DSPLY X
C** ** **ENDDO

*

*Compile with TRUNCATE(*YES) and you get an infinite loop - with TRUNCATE(*NO) you get the overflow error. (***CMA************ disclaimer********** - ********
*I may have the parameter name wrong - hope y'all understand the intent)*
**
This was the earliest from of a FOR kind of loop that I'm aware of in my time on the system. Others have more history than I.

So IBM have never checked this kind of thing, it seems.

David, if you want to do something about it, submit a PMR (problem report or software service request) - see if IBM say it is by design or not - you will get a better answer from the people that make the compiler than from us, who are just guessing. Or submit a design change request (DCR).

Regards
Vern

David FOXWELL wrote:
Why don't we start at 0 like in other languages?

Eg,

For (int i=0 ; numberloops-1 ; i++)
Index= i + 1;

EndFor

What is the value of Index when the loop ends?