I know that C++ has something exactly like Leave. Its called Break. Its
used in the same way and does the exact same thing. I've used this in the
past. The place where I've seen it used the most is in terminating Case
statements. So this isn't just an RPG thing.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
Ext. 4777

Jerry Adams <Jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/12/2009 10:22 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Good places to use "The Cycle" in today's RPG

Chris,

I understand the comment about spaghetti code since, as a (more or less)
former RPG II programmer, I've seen multiple GOTO statements (in one case
I recall, dozens) that all pointed to the same TAG. That program, on
average, blew up once a week. It was a nightmare to debug (System/3 - no
STRDBG or such tool; just eyeballs).

As you correctly point out, the use of ITER/LEAVE is a matter of opinion
and preference. Others have already pointed out that ITER and LEAVE are
unlike GOTO's because of their built-in limitation.

In practice I use both methods. I do not find either, in most cases, more
or less understandable than its cousin. But I'll admit that I am the only
RPG programmer in this shop. My boss, who is a VB programmer (and other
such nonsense), has no problem reviewing my code (at least since I
switched to /free format a few years ago). I don't know if there are
ITERs or LEAVEs in VB or .Net, but the concept/purpose appears to be
easily grasped.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale