You get an error on the write.

Yes, I know. It was more pointing out that the example given didn't
account for that.

in practice it's either vanishingly rare (user
maintenance programs) or non-existent (batch updates).

More users (internet) more likely, but still not really likely in
interactive land. As for batch, that's true until you say to yourself
one day: "Gee, I've got like an 8-way machine here, and this nightly
process it taking forever, if only I could split it up..." and then you
proceed to split the input into 8 parts and then run them concurrently.
Suddenly it's not so unlikely. Been there (on a 2-way) many years ago,
it was a get-next-number routine that was coded poorly, iirc.

As things move from the multi-core to the many-core world this will
become more and more of an issue. It's frightening to think about the
issues we'll have to deal with when there are 100s of processors in a
machine. :-)

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III