A PTF issue in allocation of memory? I shudder at the thought.

Even though you may not normally use dynamic memory, the same functions are used by every single variable in every single program. For "normal variables" the calls to allocate the memory are generated by the compiler instead of coded manually by the programmer, but they exist nonetheless.

If there's a bug with memory allocation, I doubt very much that your computer would even IPL, much less run all of your other software.

From another angle: I wonder why you're using dynamic memory at all. Your array is only 1 MB long. Why not just declare it as a normal field and let the compiler worry about reserving the memory? It's well within the 16 MB limit on a single space, so what does it gain you to use dynamic allocation? Personally, I use pointers frequently. Daily. They're a regular part of my well-balanced diet. But I wouldn't consider using one for your simple array -- at least not on i ("OS/400") where we have single-level store.

Lorraine.Ford@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Here is a new complication. We've been trying this on different boxes
and we just found that the same code works fine on one of our AS400s and
not on a different one. It's quite possible they are not at the same
PTF level. Could this be a PTF issue? I looked for one but I am not
finding anything.