From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Terrence Enger
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:44 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: CEE0810 Error on Reallocate Statement

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 13:30 -0400, Jon Paris wrote:
"So really most of our confusion is stemming from the fact that the
pointer value does seem to be the same and is not changing ..."

Grasping at straws here - but are you sure it is still a valid
pointer? If
the area of memory containing the pointer was written by anything
other than
a pointer instruction, the contents of the pointer memory may be
unchanged,
but the tag bit will have been reset and so the pointer would no
longer be
valid.

I just did one of those. STRDBG shows the value of the invalidated
pointer as SPP:*NULL.

The program is ...
0005.00 D x s 1a
0006.00 D thing ds
0007.00 D p *
0008.00 D smasher 10i 0 overlay( p : 1 )
0009.00 /free
0010.00
0011.00 // make a good pointer
0012.00 p = %addr( x );
0013.00 // what does strdbg show?
0014.00
0015.00 // destroy the pointer, presumably
0016.00 smasher = smasher;
0017.00 // what does strdbg show?
0018.00
0019.00 *inlr = *on;