Hello, Raymond:

There is a saying in computer science that goes something like this:

You can MOVE (an application to another platform), or you can
IMPROVE (an application), but DO NOT ATTEMPT to MOVE and IMPROVE (an
application) at the same time!

I would suggest the following step-wise approach:

1. first, get your application(s) moved from the System/36 SSP (*M36) platform to running in the System/36 Environment of OS/400 (GO CMDS36). To do this, you will need to move/copy all of the source code from the System/36 SSP system to OS/400, and use the System/36 environment compatible compilers (CRTS36RPG, CRTS36RPT, etc.).

2. once you have everything coverted and running under OS/400 (albeit in the S36 Environment), you can upgrade to a newer machine and a supported version of i5/OS (V5R4 or V6R1).

3. next, you can begin to convert from RPG II to ILE RPG IV, one program at a time. There are several tools to assist in converting System/36 applications to "native" OS/400 applications, which include tools to assist with creating externally described database files (DDS source) from the F&I specs in your RPG II program source, and converting the RPG II into RPG/400. (Perhaps some tools might even now support direct conversion to RPG IV?)

4. now, you can start looking at using tools such as Linoma's RPG Toolbox to convert to "free form" RPG IV, etc.

Hope this helps.

Mark S. Waterbury

> Raymond Meade wrote:
Re: IBM Sys/36 (Advanced 36) and RPG-II migration.
A question for all ye IBM RPG-II lovers (current and former), To convert from IBM RPG-II to IBM RPG-ILE
Over several years I have read many sources which have been revealing with respect to IBM’s continued phasing out of all “versions” of the Sys/36 and IBM RPG-II code. Here is a situation and a proposal for which I would appreciate receipt of your ideas and comments that may provide information as to our quest of RPG migration. We currently have installed an IBM 9402-436 Processor which is used only to run multiple M36 machines for production purposes. The processor is at release V4R2. This old IBM processor can also function as any regular as400. I have converted and compiled several of the RPG-II programs to RPG-ILE and they seem to compile and run okay in the 400 environment on this old processor. I am considering converting all of the RPG-II code to RPG-ILE which would be done on this same old processor. Do you think that it could then be feasible to move this RPG-ILE source code to a later model processor (for example one that was currently running on V5R3) and then recompile it on the newer model processor? Our old processor has a 6390 IBM 8mm tape drive which could possibly be read by an IBM 8mm tape drive on the newer processor, which could then provide a method for moving the source code. If this 8mm method of transfer would not work, hopefully there would be available another method. I am concerned if the above steps could be ignored or stopped if the proposed V5R3 release level on the newer model processor were unable to recognize or otherwise compile the ported RPG-ILE source from the old processor. These thoughts crossed my mind while I was reading two IBM Redpapers, one of which dealt with conversion to V6R1 and another Redpaper which dealt with conversion to V5R3. Among the same general concerns pertaining to the recognition and compatibility of ported RPG-ILE source to the proposed new processor is that of license keys. Would the presence of license keys on the new processor pose a problem not dealt with in the above steps?
Please keep in mind that for current (ongoing) production purposes, the RPG-II code would execute on our old processor only, and the RPG-ILE code once completed and moved would execute on the new V5R3 processor only. At the stage when the move to the V5R3 processor is complete, it would become the sole CPU in use.
Another concern about this proposal is the amount of elapsed time that would occur until all of the RPG-ILE source code could actually be moved to the target new processor. Obviously it would be necessary to at least confirm that several of the RPG-ILE sources from the old processor would actually compile on the target newer processor, and that such confirmations should occur at least every few months. The elapsed time also brings to mind concerns if the target new processor would be available in the future at the target version level along with the other “corresponding” supporting software that exists on the old processor such as Advanced Function Printing (IPDS), to name just one.
The total amount of elapsed time would be several years in that the old RPG-II sources on the old processor will have to be converted to RPG-ILE before any porting, either partial or complete, should begin.
If you can, please let me know what you think. If this is not feasible than I am leaning toward a non IBM option for our RPG migration. Your consideration is most appreciated.
Sincerely, Raymond Meade
E-Mail: paulwmeadeagency@xxxxxxxxx
Telephone: (405)-524-1541
Fax: (405)-524-6156