From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Tony.Weston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu 6/19/2008 10:49 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Is RPG 'DEAD"

Hi Lim,

I consider myself an advanced RPG'er, and fairly good at Java also. One
thing I have noticed about the phelosophy around java is everything seams
to be way to complex than it actually needs to be. The fact is, In Java,
things can indeed be almost as simple as RPG, and the more you learn about
Java, the more you end up ignoring the crud.

To counter your points:
1) In java, you almost always have use a java class to do something.
In RPG, you almost always have to have a program to do something!

... Java applications are made out of classes. You dont have to use the OO
side, though... I have nocked up quick and dirty Java code to perform a
simple one of task, just using the main method. for example, adding 5
'Decimal' numbers together, and print it out:

public Class DoSomthingSimple{
public static void main(String[] args){

BigDecimal tot = BigDecimal.valueOf(11.11);

tot=tot.add(BigDecimal.valueOf(22.22));
tot=tot.add(BigDecimal.valueOf(33.33));
tot=tot.add(BigDecimal.valueOf(44.44));
tot=tot.add(BigDecimal.valueOf(55.55));

System.out.println(tot);
}
}

This isn't too complex, now, is it... It is much easier to add
Integers/Long int's, floats, doubles. But, these type of container are not
good for business 'currency' type of field.

I need to download a utility from Apache just to be able to save value
of a variable (class) to another variable (another class)

Please expand on this... this seams a straing way to do things.

...For me, this seems to tell me that java is always missing something

Java can do much, much more than RPG. Try running an RPG program on a
mobile phone? Try running it on a Smartcard. Java's strength, is its core
syntax is much simpler than RPG, so can be implemented easily on a vast
range of devices, so the minimum is included. (This makes it much easier
to learn also). However, to do anything usefull, I Agree you need to make
use of the included libraries, or one you might find on the net.

It takes a lot of time search for what you need and download the jar
file, put it in the class path.
In RPG, To do anything out of the norm, you need to find a service
program, and add it to a binding directory. This take just as much effort.

You probably has already heard of hibernate.
Yes, and there is nothing similar in RPG. In Hibernate, you can change the
'database', and your business class application continues to work fine. In
RPG, you change anything on the database, and you have to recompile
everything, write migration programs, you know the drill!. BUT, you dont
have to use Hibernate, you can use standard SQL to access your database,
which can be on the iSeries, or on your PC, or in memory, or on a web
server. Try accessing a static database, held on a webserver, using RPG!!
By the way, the is an alternative to Hibernate..... Bean Keeper does a
similar job, but has none of the config files related.

I'm not saying that java is bad. But if you are trying to create a
business application, (IMHO) java is not even comes close to >>what RPG
can offer.

I created this simple CRM for my other half: http://totspics.com/bizwiz .
This uses SQL, to access a local database on the PC. Even if PC's
supported running RPG, there is no way I would ever attempt doing anything
like this using it. Putting the athestics asside, What about the
functional aspects, such as having more than one window open at once, FTP
Functionality, Barcode Functionality, Graphical printing, Retrieving stuff
from a web server at startup, etc.

But, I suppose, if you're happy with Green screen apps, running on big-old
IBM iron, then yeh, stick with RPG. Personally, I think one of the best
combinations for business, is a mixture of both.

"Lim Hock-Chai" <Lim.Hock-Chai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
19/06/2008 16:04
Please respond to RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries