Steve,

I understand you like the MS Kool-Aid a lot but I don't understand the memory leaks comment. Are you saying RPG is inferior to other languages in that regard because you have to go out of your way to make them happen?

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Richter
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:18 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Is RPG 'DEAD"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM, David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Adam West wrote:
We have been searching for a new ERP package. In additon to looking
at RPG Iseries based, we hired a consultant to assist in this
endeavour. He has made a statement that RPG is Dead, that he claims,
IBM guys told him so.

I am interested in opinions and links to the contrary on this,

COBOL has been dead for years. Nobody told the COBOL programmers though.

COBOL is inferior to RPG because you cant modularize your code with
parameters on a perform statement. RPG is inferior to Java and C#
because of memory leaks, no try ... catch .... finally blocks, no
property setters and getters, no delegates, no data struct member
functions, no virtual functions, ....

RPG is OK, but C# and Java are more feature rich.