Give some thought to using data structures in some way? In my opinion they are powerful for this sort of problem. Perhaps one data structure for each file format and another datastructure for the screen names? In that way perhaps everything below the D-specs in your program(s) becomes non-file based.

Now, I haven't thought all of this through, but I suspect you know better than me how to do it, once the idea is exposed to you.

Mike wrote:
I need to bounce this off you guys to see if there is a better way. This is
bugging every aspect of me and am looking for ideas to simplify my life.

I have two sets of files. Out of the 5 files in the set of files, only one
file in the set is different. So now I have a maintenance nightmare of
having two programs exactly the same (and keep the same) except for the
files they use. Is there a way I can make this one program? I could use a
flag and put an if statement on every read/write/update/delete, but could
there be a better way? The other file is similar, but different enough that
I think it would be best just to maintain two programs.

--
Mike Wills
Midrange Programmer/Analyst

Sick of corporate radio and hungry for something new?
http://thenextgenerationofradio.com