Adam,

I think you're a bit mixed up concerning *IPDS and *AFPDS....

You can consider *IPDS do be a subset of *AFPDS. There's nothing about *IPDS that would make it
"easier" than *AFPDS. The BARCODE keyword in the DDS printer file works the same in an *AFPDS printer
file as it does an *IPDS printer file.

I've often simply changed *IPDS printer files to *AFPDS in order to print them on HP printers. Reason
being, Host Print Transform (HPT) will transform *AFPDS to ASCII but not *IPDS.

The one thing that confuses most people is that both *IPDS and *AFPDS spool files require IPDS capable
printers.

*AFPDS (or *IPDS) = CRTDEVPRT TYPE(*IPDS) AFP(*YES)
*IPDS (only) = CRTDEVPRT TYPE(*IPDS) AFP(*NO)

You can have a dot matrix IPDS/AFP(*YES) printer, for example the IBM 64xx line is can print *AFPDS.

You can check with Printronix to see if IPDS is an option available for you printer, I doubt it.

Assuming the printer does a basic graphics capability, and thus can print barcodes, you have two
options.

1) Purchase an IPDS print server, either hardware of software based. Here's a software one:
http://ipds.brooksnet.com/index.html there are others.

2) Embed the ASCII control codes needed to print the barcode directly into the print/spool file by
taking advantage of the ASCII Transparency (ATRN) SCS Control. Here's an IBM doc to get you started:
http://tinyurl.com/55rfj

HTH,

Charles Wilt
--