To all that responded...thanks.

From all the comments I'll probably keep the copybooks in source members.

Denis: I appreciate the note about SQL as I do like to use embedded SQL.
That's probably the only true nail in the coffin, but it's a big one.

Adam: Just for giggles I'm going to try out your version, if for no other
reason than I just have to see it in action. Do I understand correctly that
you use the following at the start of each service program module:

/IF DEFINED(prototype-member-name)
/EOF
/ELSE
/DEFINE prototype-member-name
/ENDIF

Would this be before the H-spec (or does it even matter)? From a complexity
standpoint, that's pretty simple. And in the calling module just use

/COPY qmodsrc,prototype-member-name

Where prototype-member-name is the name of the module source. Do I have
this correct?

Thanks again,
--Bruce Guetzkow