Robert,

You're storing a % for the company to process, but in your example, each company gets an equal %.

If each company will always get an equal %, there's really no reason to store the percentage. Then
you can easily split the records using the following:

As you read a record, calculate a random number between 1 and n where n is the number of companies
getting the records. Now you've got your records split approximately equally. As an added benefit,
the distribution of the records from your file would be random which should be helpful/required for
the demographic research. (Don't have to worry about one company getting all the older customers
from a single state for instance).

If you actually do want to split the records by percentage, I'd consider using a random number between
1 and 100. Then company 1 gets 1-25, 2 gets 26-50, 3 gets 51-75, and 4 gets 76-100.

Consider how to handle 3 companies.... 33%, 33%, 34%....?

Charles Wilt
Software Engineer
CINTAS Corporation - IT 92B
513.701.1307