Hi Joe,

It's in the RPGLE reference manual, chapter 15 (definition spec keywords):

"The values of the ALIGN and ALTSEQ keywords are inherited by the new data structure. The values of the OCCURS, DIM, NOOPT, and INZ keywords are not inherited. To initialize the subfields in the same way as the parent data structure, specify INZ(*LIKEDS)."

hth,
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /

Joe D wrote:
I spoke (typed) a little too soon...

I have been chasing the wrong problem. The Select Into Array worked
fine in a small test app, but I still had trouble in my production app.

My production app passes back - or I would like it to pass back - the array from a
procedure in a service program. Various compile errors, none of which seem
to point me in the correct direction.

Maybe it is the late hour, but I think an SQL precompiler 'feature' is responsible
for my excessive hair loss on a fine Saturday.

My testing seems to indicate that LIKEDS() does not carry back the DIM() part
of the referenced data structure - at least not to the liking of the SQL precompiler.

In Debug I could see the array elements if a LikeDs'd array, but using it in SQL
generated errors on compile. Unfortunately I assumed that because I could see
multiple elements in a LikeDs'd array that the LikeDs was not the issue.

I spent a lot of time assuming the SQL or structure of the Data Structure itself was at
fault, but in testing my simple app with not LikeDS() everything worked fine.

I know a LikeDs() loses the INZ() info unless you do INZ(*LIKEDS) - is it a
known issue that DIM() info is discarded too?

Repeating the DIM() on my LikeDs() declarations seems to have really solved my
problems this time.

Anyone else experience this? Or is it just me losing my mind?