Hi All: to further clarify what I'm try to do: I have 25 procedures which basically read the records in a datafile and then compare the value of a field to a pre-set value. Since all the code in all these procedures is the same and the only thing different is the field I need to reference I wanted to create one procedure to be called passing the name of the field I want to use. By using a pointer to the field I can pass different fields on different calls. I need some way of reference the value in the field on each read of the file. This works if the variable I use ( in this case I called it CheckField ) is set to the same size as the field in the data file. But this is hardcoded and I need to somehow resize the variable Checkfield which is set to the size I define and seems to ignore the varying, although it seems the variable is set to the right size but I find that the program tries to put the same amount of data into the varible as what is defined in the D specs. Eg. If I define it as 50A using the VARYING even though the varible gets set to 1A the system tries to place 50 chars into the varible. If I define it as 1A then all is well.

I am not trying to pass actual data which would work using the VARYING, I'm trying to pass the address of the field to be referenced within the called procedure. If this will not work I will have to go back to using 25 procedures that have the same code to read the file and do the comparisons and the only thing different is the field that is being referenced.

Hope this is a little clearer as to what I am trying to do.
Thanks for any help.

Don Wereschuk
ISD - Programmer/Analyst
Simcoe Parts Service Inc.
Phone: 705-435-7814 Ex: 302
Fax: 705-435-6746
mailto:dwereschuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Save the Cheerleader - Save the world" - Hiro Nakamura

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.