Evan Harris wrote:
I can't see how you can say you are completely comfortable with the cycle

There are varying degrees of understanding The Cycle. Being aware of the need to either use, short-circuit, bypass, or disable it, is one level. Being able to use it with a primary file, to detect funky data and either repair it (interactively or quietly) or spool a report on it, or to use it without a primary file as the event-loop of an interactive program, is another level. Being able to use level breaks, secondary files, total time, and so forth, and to do with no more trouble than it would be to just hand-code the equivalent logic, is yet another level.

I'm entirely comfortable with The Cycle at my own level of understanding. But then again, the biggest stretch I've ever had to make was to use "total time" for a statement or two.

If needed to maintain a program that used level breaks, secondary files, and so forth, I could probably figure it out, and have a much easier time of it than I'd have trying to write something from scratch using such things.