On 10-Nov-07, at 1:00 PM, Ken Sims wrote:

IMO, monitor should be used sparingly, only for things that are
unexpected or if there is no easy way provided to test in advance

Have to disagree with you here Ken.

Monitor is a relatively lightweight task and I feel the decision to use/not use should be based on the likelihood of the error occurring. The ease or otherwise of the testing is irrelevant.

Monitor logic is _much_ clearer since a) You know that the programmer anticipated a potential problem b) the anticipated code path is obvious c) the error handling is obvious.

When you see something like:

If myVar <> 0;
do lots of stuff:
else;
do other stuff;
endif;

You really don't know until much later _why_ the variable is being tested - whereas an On-Error DivideByZero; makes it pretty darn clear.

I would agree with you in cases where there was a high probability (i.e. > 50%) that the date was bad or whatever - but otherwise I think MONITOR is a far superior solution.

Now if only Barbara would give us THROW to go with it ...

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com