Hi Chris,

The following site tells you what all of the properties supported by SQL server are, and their potential values:

You'll note that the 'encrypt' property controls whether SSL is used or not, and it's set to FALSE by default, so SSL is not used unless you tell it otherwise ither with setProp or by specifying it in the connection string.

The code you posted uses a variable named 'server' for the connection string, but you did not tell us what's in that variable. If you want SSL turned on, you'll want to add 'encrypt=true' to that string. if not, you'll want to make sure it's not there.

I can think of several possible causes for the "handshake failed" error:

a) RPG program is using SSL, but SQL server doesn't allow it.
b) SQL Server requires SSL, but RPG program isn't using it.
c) SQL server allows both, but on different ports, and you're connecting to the wrong port.
d) You are trying to enable SSL, but there's a problem in the SSL configuration.

Please give all of these some thought.

Christopher Anderson wrote:
I don't directly pass a connection string but call it from RPG in the
following manner (using Scott Klement's article as inspiration)

prop = JDBC_Properties();
JDBC_setProp(prop: 'userName' : 'wcpolsuser');
JDBC_setProp(prop: 'password' : 'wcpolsuser');
JDBC_setProp(prop: 'databaseName' : 'QSInterface');

conn =
JDBC_ConnProp('com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver'
: %trim(server)
: prop );

JDBC_freeProp(prop);
Is there another property I can set that would deactivate the request
for SSL? And, I'm not POSITIVE the request for SSL is coming from the
I5 side. I am just mostly sure the error implies it and that our SQL
Server isn't using it.

Thank you,
Chris Anderson
Partners Mutual
Waukesha, WI

<ORIGINAL>

from: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: RPG SQL Server

You do _not_ have to use SSL to talk to SQLServer from the 400, in fact,
I'd be surprised if that was even the default. What's your connection
string?
-Walden <ORIGINAL>