From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:36 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Need some advice

Sharon,

More than anything you'll need to get your head around object oriented
programming. I recommend you find a good, basic, hands on Java class
for beginners. I was fortunate to have a great instructor that really
did a great job describing object oriented programming. He started with

the basics and built from there. I also took a class (again, hands on)
in developing Java web applications (from Learningtree)

If you are successful in making the transition, the basics of
programming that you use every day in RPG will serve you well. It's the

whole "object thing" that took me a while to fully grasp.

Pete Helgren

Sharon wrote:
Good afternoon RPG Gurus. My shop may change their POS system to
IBM's Websphere Application Server and Websphere Commerce. So I will
need to get familiar with Java. I don't know if my company will pay for
training, and I would rather be proactive on this just for my own good.
So I am asking if someone can recommend a good 'Java for RPG
Programmers' book. I do see one on B&N, but feel the experts here would
give me a better example.

Thanks in advance,

Sharon
Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live
OneCare!

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/purchase/trial.aspx?s_cid=wl_hotm
ailnews