From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:46 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Rép. : [SPAM] Re: Service program not using LIBL

Christen, Duane J. wrote:
Why would you need to unload service programs from memory?

It's a convenient way to close any files you have open, clean up any
temporary objects, release any memory it has open, etc. Again, there
are other ways to do it (such as writing extra procedures that close
files and release dynamic memory) but why bother when the
system can do
it all for you?

We have a routine that runs at 9am every day that needs
exclusive use of
some of our files. The users exit the programs their using,
we run the
routine, then they go back into the programs and proceed with
working.
We also run a back-up procedure at night that needs exclusive
use of ALL
files. By reclaiming the activation groups, we close the
files used in
the service programs.

Why WOULDN'T you want to do this? Why would you want to
leave all files
open forever? And leave all resources in use forever? I mean, my
users frequently do things once in the morning, and never go
back into
the program. What purpose does it serve to leave all of the
resources
open all day long until they sign off?

I guess your question really puzzles me. How can you not
understand the
value of releasing memory and closing files? It seems like a pretty
basic thing.

--
This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L)