<snip>
a GC makes the coding and usage of a procedure library much easier.
people post often that they use Java methods from RPG to do things
like create PDF documents or read from spreadsheet files. RPG
procedures and service programs are good. but arguably not good
enough because we have to use a GC language to get the rich
functionality we need.
</snip>

Steve,

There are RPG programs written to produce PDF files and I doubt there's
any reason that the same couldn't be done for Excel files if it hasn't
been already (there are commercial packages for doing this but I have no
idea what they are written in). Personally, I have better things to do
than re-invent the wheel every time I need to do something so if there
is something that I can get for free (or cheap) that does what I need,
I'm going to use it. If you want to blame that on RPG, that's your call.

Matt