If you happen to need to call an existing procedure within the DOW
and
this procedure accept CustID as parm, how can you be sure that this
existing procedure does not call getNextCustOrder and mess up your loop?

The database module in the service program being used would have its own
open access path, because it is global, and there's one actual program
(with a main procedure) that you're using is bound to it. IMO programs
should not be of unwieldy size, like combining a bunch of modules into
their program.

I think attention should be given to the design of the service program
to watch for things like that, plus (mostly) to the logic of the
(caller) program itself.

BTW, the service program can use the same great database op codes that
integrate it so well, especially with the unit record processing, you
don't have to use SQL or whatnot, though you might well use it.

--Alan