On 9/11/07, albartell <albartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
does IBM recognize that C# exists? It is only the best language available
( it is free and highly functional ) for programming as400 interactive
applications.

Just curious Steve, how many other languages have you worked in with the
same depth and breadth you have with C#? The reason I am asking is because
that is quite the statement to make.

I have done a lot of work with rpg, sql procedures and c++ ( in
windows ). I am getting decent with c#. it is by far the best language
I have ever worked with.

And with that said, can you connect to data queues or RPG programs
_directly_ from C#.NET (i.e. without SQL)?

you can write .net classes which use interop to call into the client
access win32 APIs. I guess you can use the client access .net
provider, but would not want to do that since it locks you into
playing IBMs game of not supporting the latest framework releases from
MSFT.

Can you directly access other
resources like the IFS or spool files?

the client access win32 APIs also. But I think you are better off
calling an sql stored procedure on the as400 to do all of this native
work. Use C# to code all the interactive parts of the application.

[Aaron hands Steve a napkin to wipe off his Microsoft Kool-Aid mustache]
;-)

I dont need it Aaron. thanks! I think you all are totally under the
influence of something overpowering ;) for excluding from your
consideration the incredible, no charge, .NET technology that is
available on 98% of the desktops in as400 shops.

-Steve