Pete,

You have to also keep in mind that with your new method of
not locking the record that it will be possible for User A
to bring up the record for maintenance. Then before he/she
updates the record User B will be able to update that same
record. Then when user A presses <enter> to update the
changes done by user B can be lost.

What we do in our maintenance programs is:
A) Read record to be updated (Do not lock the record)
B) Store the record in a data structure A
C) Once the user makes changes and presses <Enter> to update
the program chains to the file for update (locks the record)
then compares the record it just retrieved to the Data
Structure A in Step B.
If they are the same the program knows nobody else updated
the record and it proceeds with the update process.
If the values do not match then the program knows that
someone else updated the record and it releases the record
and a message is displayed that another user updated the
record press <Enter> to display the new values.

This process may cause someone to have to re-enter their
changes but it does not happen often that two users are
updating the record at the same time. But it can happen and
most likely will happen if you do not code for it.
But it is much better then having changes "lost"
(overwritten) because of a conflict when multiple users are
updating the same record at the same time. You do not want
to get a support call once a month with someone saying "they
know they updated the Customer Master file but there changes
are no longer there"
Because these calls will happen and they will happen very
infrequently causing the programmers to go crazy wondering
why the program does not update correctly some times.

John