To: "RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 10:19 AM
Subject: RE: Feature or Bug?

I've had the exact same problem. The $HEADNG1 format (as well as other
formats) are inserted by JDE when the PRTF is compiled through their
tool, Software Version Repository (SVR). These formats are used when you
specify the Dream Writer version should print a cover page and/or a help
page.
The options to print these pages are queried in the RPG program and if
they are set, a call is done to print the pages. There are printer
overrides in effect to share the *PRTF. So even though the original
program may never use $HEADNG1, the called program does. In prior
versions of RPG these unused printer formats where ignored by the
compiler so it was no problem. But now I get the same errors as you
describe. I just use an Ignore($HEADNG1) on the printer file spec.