A nice idea, however I think that the ones that are don't like to hand over
RPG documentation to the public space.
I don't think it is really "handing it over" but rather allowing an
electronic verbatim duplication.

(what if a new version came out... Who would maintain all the pages with
explanation out there on wiki?).
IBM would still produce the contents of "thee manual", but again, would
allow the community to duplicate it on the wiki. Right now anything would
be better than the pragmatic documentation found in WDSC (hit F1, takes you
to the help where you get about half of what you need).

Which takes me to the second obstacle: handing it over to a wiki would mean
that they would loose control over the way it is written, and the
correctness of the contents -it is about 99+% correct at the moment- and I
imagine they don't like that; even though there is a remote chance that it
might actually get better.

Again, there would be a verbatim copy of it in the wiki with community
comments to supplement it. IBM isn't adverse to change and loosening the
reigns when they see their bread and butter going else ware. They have
given away (opened up) one of the best IDE's known to the computing world
(Eclipse) because they saw the potential for what the community could do
with it. Take a look at all the different open source things going on at
Apache, W3C and the like - IBM has their fingers in community all over the
place.

All in all I think IBM will not take the step.
That's up to them. They have a thriving community of RPG developers that
they could use to their benefit. In the end it all depends on if we can get
the ear of somebody inside IBM who has the same vision as us. Maybe Bob
Cancilla would be somebody to get the ear of. As I understand it part of
his title is "Rational Evangelist".

Thanks for your comments Cor,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com