From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:37 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Embedded SQL - Dumb Question probably

Tom Liotta wrote:
8. RE: Embedded SQL - Dumb Question probably (Shannon ODonnell)

Is it an N/C item that comes on the LPP CD's? I can install it myself
if that's the case, but otherwise, I'll have to order it.

Shannon:

It is chargeable. It's been a very long time since I've seen anything on the
cost though. I don't recall it being much for lower-tier systems. (And I
always thought that a small development system, possibly even a used one, is
a great way to reduce upper-tier development costs because of that.)

As mentioned elsewhere, it should be on distribution CDs and available for a
grace period.

Joe mentioned a kind of 'reverse engineering' through perhaps the use of RPG
compiler listings from the pre-processed code. I seem to recall trying
something once to see if it was feasible but ran into an error from a
missing SQL object or similar. I assumed that one or more of the generated
CALLs targeted SQL APIs that either were not installed or were triggering a
test against an LPP requirement. It'd be interesting to see something work,
but I'm not sure how it might be demonstrated to others. I don't know
details of the licensing. In any event, I had more than enough to keep me
busy and never pursued it farther. And you'd have to have the pre-processor
working first in order to have direction.

SQL CLI is always a possibility. The relative complexity of coding for SQL
CLI compared to simple embedded SQL is what is paid for most of the time.
AFAIK, there should be a performance boost also, though I haven't needed to
do SQL CLI in a performance-critical job.

Tom Liotta