Kurt,

That's not what I meant.

I think the problem doesn't lie with the %scan BIF, but with the string
that is returned when you "read" the IFS file, which I believe is cut off
at every CR or LF or CR/LF.

How do you read the stream file?

Best regards,

Peter Colpaert
Application Developer
PLI - IT - Kontich, Belgium
-----
Yoda of Borg are we. Futile is resistance, assimilated will you be.
-----

"Kurt Anderson" <kjanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
23/07/2007 16:38
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: %scan and the new line character

So if I use %scan, and it's going to stop when it encounters a new line
character, and this is working as designed, I hope someone updates the
help for the BIF. ;) But that's really my question, is this working
as intended? If it is, that means I have to write a loop to scan for
new line characters (assuming that works), and within that scan for the
actual value I seek - ugh, extra work. I don't mind writing code till
my fingerprints are worn away, but not when the help doesn't reflect the
nuances of a function. Maybe I'm just spoiled, as the RPG help is
actually pretty helpful.

Kurt Anderson
Application Developer
Highsmith Inc