Steven,

I worte an article for Scott's Programming Tips newsletter in November 2006
about this sort of thing - it includes code for a utility procedure called
parse() which helps you to combine strings - see
http://www.systeminetwork.com/artarchive/newsletter/w/1001/a/53509/index.html

You would use the parse() utility as follows:

/free
Base = 'SBMJOB CMD(CALL PGM(HPMODS/R0774B) PARM(''&1'' ''&2''))
USER(IXAADMIN)';
SubmitJob = parse( Base : %trim( path ) : %trim( printer ) );
SystemCmd( SubmitJob : %len( SubmitJob ) );
/end-free

You could also hold Base as a constant string, or in a database file (as I
do) or supply it as a parameter. This is very similar to Jonathan's method
of holding the data as a message, but in some ways it's more flexible (and
in some ways, less).

Rory