From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 12:35 PM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: RPG is Dead? Say it aint so!

From: albartell

What happens if there's an error in CGIDEV2? Better yet, what
happens
when
a .NET module doesn't work? When you use a tool and you don't know
the
underlying technology, you're opening yourself up. That's why I
insist on
base JSP and RPG back end -- I have control over every line of code.

You missed my point. I was trying to MAKE the point that YOU WILL need
have knowledge of HTML/Java if you go EGL, because it WILL break. I
think
we are on the same page. You CAN start with EGL WITHOUT ANY Java or
HTML
(because it must hide it so well), but eventually you will most likely
need to become versed in both. Would that be a true statement?

Well, the HTML side I might agree with simply because the nature of any
generated code is such that at some point you will eventually know
enough to
add your own stuff. It won't be because the EGL generated code is
broken,
but just that you want to add some spiffy JavaScript that you downloaded
from the web.

As to the Java side, you should never need to understand the Java code
any
more than you should have to debug the CGIDEV2 internals. The Java code
is
simply a glue -- you actually debug at the EGL level. And in fact,
since
EGL is a strategic tool for IBM, my guess is that you will have some
real
support from IBM should something break.

Joe