On 5/14/07, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
>
> And Joe, a field that large would not be defined on a D spec. It would
> come from a file defined with SQL. :-) Any D specs would use LIKE.

I don't know about that, Rob. Sure, if you're talking about BLOBs and
CLOBs, you're talking about SQL. But not all data used by computers is
stored in SQL databases :).

Varying fields can, for example, be used to FTP a stream file from one place
to another. Another really good use of a varying field is to build XML
streams for web services.

how does it go? mascara on a donkey? the problem with using varying
to build and XML stream is varying fields cannot be extended in size.
You declare a varying(4) to be max 1000000 characters, but your
general purpose RPG procedure that builds an XML stream from a
database might exceed that size. Java strings dont have this
restriction. Would be great if an RPG procedure could new up a Java
StringBuilder object and then append characters to it. Is that doable
now?

-Steve