Thanks everyone for the help. I will try the Java solution. Thanks again.

Jeff Williams

On Thu, 10 May 2007 13:26:28 -0500, Scott Klement wrote
Hi Jeff,

> Hi everyone. I have project that requires information from a SQL
> server back to the AS/400 in my program.

I wrote some RPG wrappers for Java's JDBC (database driver) stuff.
It lets you connect using a JDBC driver to any type of database (including
SQL Server) and then run SQL statements, etc.

This was for a series of articles about how to access other databases
from RPG. Originally, I wrote the tool only for MySQL, but later
changed it to be a more generic JDBC tool.

Here's a link to the most recent article in the series (Which has the
most up-to-date code). This article will have links to the previous
ones: http://www.systeminetwork.com/article.cfm?id=52741

That link does require a membership to the System iNetwork web site,
but a free (Associate) membership will work fine.

There's an example that specifically discusses connecting to SQL server
in the System iNetwork forums. Here's a link to the thread
discussing that: http://www.systeminetwork.com/isnetforums/showthread.php?
t=48063

Not sure what other options you have. As far as I know, the native
SQL support doesn't have any way to talk to SQL server... it only
knows about DRDA databases, like DB2. (Someone will correct me if
I'm wrong?) that's why I was looking into the JDBC approach to
begin with.

There are commercial solutions, of course. If you dislike the free
JDBC approach, you might look at the iS/ODBC product from
iStudio/400. http://www.istudio400.com/

Good luck
--
This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L)