We use both VARPG with ODBC and this utility PRTVMSF using CL program.

http://www.prosperosoftware.co.uk/software/as400/util400.html

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:35 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Connecting to SQL Server

Jeff

There is no native iSeries way to do this.

<verndor response>
We have a product called RPG2SQL Integrator that does this barrier down
very well - it's a set of functions in a service program that you use to
communicate with our PC server, which, in turn, relays DB requests in
real-time to any SQL-based database server. 30-day eval fully supported
- glad to give a demo. Check us out at www.rjssoftware.com or call
888.rjs.soft.
</verndor response>

There are other options - JDBC comes to mind, as well as IBM's
Information Integrator (is that it's name now?) The latter also uses a
middleware PC. JDBC can be completely on the iSeries. I think Joe Pluta
wrote something for Rob that uses it to do this kind of thing.

For more info, look up "heterogeneous milligan" or some such in google,
for an article by Kent Milligan.

HTH
Vern
From: jeffw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone. I have project that requires information from a SQL
server back
to the AS/400 in my program. I have never had the need to connect to
an
external server to retreive information back for my programs before.
So my
question is:

What is the best way to connect to the server in my program? I was
leaning
towards using an SQL statement in my CL program. Does anyone have a
sample
of a connection string that I could use as a guide? Or is there a
better
method.

The program logic will be the user will an item number in the AS/400
it will
then merge information from the DB2 and the SQL server and present it
on the
screen or a report.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Jeff Williams