OK, so do we agree that you could have used SQL to update your table
(retrigger issue in your original post) on any system ?

I suspect RUNSQLSTM is also part of the IBM SQL dev tools, but there
were some free SQL tools floating around in the old CISC days. If you
distribute a one those or compile a wrapper like the one I provided,
you'll have SQL access. This is what I did in those early AS/400 years
when the interactive tools were often not available.

James H. H. Lampert wrote:
Keith Carpenter <carpcon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Think about it. If you are using CLI, then you are using
SQL.

Which is what I said. And of course, SQL and the CLI are
part of the base operating system. Which was implicit in
what I said. Front-ends for SQL (other than the
non-front-end that is CLI) aren't. Which was also implicit
in what I said.

--
JHHL